Sunday, May 15, 2011

New Everything of the Week 5.15.2011

It's Sunday, which means that it is time for a new Artwork and Quote of the Week! I've even got two new Words of the Moment to spice things up as well. Since I'll be out of the country for the next few Sundays, you might see these Things of the Week for a bit longer than a week- it can't really be helped.

For the Artwork of the Week (possibly several weeks), I've picked another Flemish Master (I remember there being one before, maybe a month or two ago). There's just something about those incredibly detailed 15th century paintings that gets me every time.

Annunciation, Jan van Eyck. 1434/36. National Gallery of Art, Washington D.C.

There are a lot of really amazing details in this painting. Look at the floor tiles! Each one of them has its own scene! Or the rainbow wings on Gabriel (or the incredible fabric of his robes). Check out the gorgeous architecture of the church in the background. There is so much going on in the painting, but it doesn't main point of the image. Anyways, I really like this one, so I hope everyone likes it too!

Now, for the Quote of the Week, I've got something from a book I read last week:

"Organizational skill is the boring gift of the untalented."
-Rosalind, One Perfect Rose, by Mary Jo Putney

That quote is for my brother, who was graced with most of the cool talents (artistic skill, mastery of mathematics), when I got stuck with the boring skills (spelling, organization). I'm always jealous of people with cool talents, like my brother, and every person on the planet who can sing well, or play an instrument, etc.

As for the Words of the Moment, I've got two new ones: salubrious and scurrilous.

Salubrious (suh-loo-bree-uhs)
adj. Favorable or promoting health.
Origin 1540/50
Vegetables and exercise are salubrious.

Scurrilious (skur-uh-luhs)
adj. 1) grossly or obscenely abusive 
2) characterized by or using low buffoonery
Origin 1570/80
I think of this word as relating more to bad guys in dark alleys.
Rasputin carried out his scurrilous plot to assassinate the royal family.

No comments:

Post a Comment