Sunday, February 13, 2011

Fan Art! And New Artwork/ Quote of the Week

Here is a lovely piece of fan art in response to my Thursday post about my traumatizing experience in the elevator. Nice copyright, Avery!


And now, since it is Sunday, it is time for a new Artwork and Quote of the Week! This week's artwork is from one of my favorite artists, and about as "modern" as I like my art to be:


This is Albrecht Dürer's 1502 watercolor, Young Hare. It always gets me how real (and fluffy!) it looks. The only downside is that since live hares make for difficult to draw subjects, the adorable critter that sat for this was definitely in hare heaven. Still, a very cool work, and at least its slightly more chipper than Dürer's more apocalyptic engravings and paintings.

As for the new Quote of the Week, I give a brief reprieve to my most hated author, Jane Austen. I loathe her, but this quote isn't bad. Maybe someone else wrote it for her.

"History, real solemn history, I cannot be interested in. I read it a little as a duty, but it tells me nothing that does not either vex or weary me. The quarrels of popes and kings, with wars or pestilences, in every page; the men all so good for nothing, and hardly any women at all- it is very tiresome."

-Catherine Morland, Northanger Abbey, Jane Austen. 1803. 

2 comments:

  1. http://video.pbs.org/video/1631361631/

    ReplyDelete
  2. My quote of the week suggestion. This is my response now to anyone who asks me what I plan to do with a major in Classics.

    "Can anyone be so indifferent or idle as not to care to know by what means and under what kind of polity almost the whole inhabited world was conquered and brought under the dominion of the single city of Rome, and that too within a period of not quite fifty-three years?" -Polybius

    ReplyDelete