Saturday, February 5, 2011

Terror in the Library

Fact: I am too young to die in a tragic library stacks-squishing accident. But “compact shelves” seem like they’re designed to kill.

These menacing bookshelves actually move (think of the shifting staircases at Hogwarts, but much more sinister). The way they work is that there is one open space for a whole set of shelves, and you press a button to have them move along a track in the floor.


 It seems like a decent way of saving space for those books that don’t really get read a lot (side note: what does it say about me then, that I am frequently having to risk my life in the compact shelves?). I think something more nefarious is afoot, though. I think this might be the library’s sneaky way of trying to get rid of pesky students. I mean, the instruction signs don’t say, “call out a loud and clear warning before pressing the red button to move shelves,” and I could be pressed between thousands of books without anyone knowing for weeks before the next person comes by and finds my body.

Doesn’t this scare anyone else? Compact shelves should at least have a “Danger!” sign, or they should make a buzzing noise before they start to move in order to warn people. Otherwise its Indiana Jones Raiders of the Lost Ark: Moving Stacks of Death for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment