Thursday, February 10, 2011

Sometimes My Life is Like a Movie- a Horror Movie

I used to think that it was silly to be afraid of getting stuck in an elevator. Well, you know what- today's new discovery is that it is actually completely terrifying. Clearly, fate decided I needed a new story to write about today (or maybe fate thought I needed to appreciate others' fears?).

This morning, I hopped aboard the elevator for the normal 12-flight ride down, like I do every single time I leave that particular building. But today, the doors close, the lights flicker, and the elevator goes absolutely nowhere. Thinking I may have forgotten to press a button, I press for the ground floor. Nothing, it doesn't even light up. I press the button for the next floor up (hey- I can take the stairs), then every other floor button. Still nothing. At this point, the situation has transitioned from "huh?" to a solid "this is weeeiiirrrd, what's going on?!"

So I think to myself "alright, I'll just get off this irksome elevator and get into a different one, " so I press the open doors button. Instead of the doors opened, the mysterious elevator voice informs me "This elevator is operating in independent service." (Um, 2001 HAL much?) Great, I have boarded the demonic rogue elevator, and it intends to keep me trapped inside it forever.

So, beginning to panic, but ever the thinking-outside-of-the-box person I am, I knocked on the elevator door. Politely, because, well, it is after all a door, even if it is a slidey elevator door. Of course, no response. So now, an assessment of the situation: I am alone, inside a rogue elevator, and I can't change floors or get out. To make matters worse, the lights decided to kick up the flickering and water started dripping from the ceiling. What was water doing dripping in an elevator on the top floor of the building?! In the category of things that was definitely not right with the situation, I think that tops the list. You win, fate, you win.

Being super resourceful, I whipped out my cell phone (dear Verizon, I forgive you for every dropped call ever- you somehow magically gave me service in an elevator) and called building maintenance. Apparently there was a flood, and so the elevators had been shut down. Yes, they agreed, it was strange this one had let me on, but they promised to come rescue me. Only a few minutes later I was saved when they pried the doors open and let me free.

Moral of the story: getting trapped on an elevator, especially alone, is in fact, one of the scariest things ever. I could have drowned in a tragic elevator car flood, or fallen to my demise in the elevator shaft, or been trapped until I starved or went crazy (probably less likely). Anyways, to all of you elevator-phobic out there- I can sympathize. I probably still won't take the 12 flights of stairs to leave that building, though (overcoming fears through laziness).

1 comment:

  1. There are no emoticons or acronyms descriptive enough to express how loud and long I laughed. Best post to date! Oh, I can just imagine your facial expressions...

    But you did get one thing wrong. The moral of this fable goes more like this:
    VERIZON OWNS FACE! SUCK ON THAT AT&T.

    ReplyDelete