Thursday, February 24, 2011

Pocahontas would not be a Productive Member of Society

THIS POST HAS MOVED TO THE NEW SITE! FIND IT HERE:
http://liberlexica.wordpress.com/2011/09/22/pocahontas-would-not-be-a-productive-member-of-society/
Don't get me wrong- I adore Disney and Disney movies, but thinking back on Pocahontas,the Disney film, I can't help but come to the conclusion that the character of Pocahontas as portrayed in the movie would be a really useless member of society.

For instance, the first time we see her in the movie, she is shirking her corn harvesting duties to frolic in the woods. In the song, "Just Around the Riverbend" she sings about how she wants to go with the flow like the river and doesn't want to settle down into a boring life. To me, that just doesn't seem like a very mature attitude, especially for the chief's daughter.

Because she simply can't stay in the village or do something helpful, the next thing you know, she's off cavorting with John Smith, who as we know, brings nothing but trouble to the Powhatans. She refuses to marry the perfectly acceptable Kocoum, who if you recall, is the best Powhatan warrior around, because he is too serious for her. Honestly, what were you expecting Pocahontas? If you want him to to go about conversing with willow trees or rolling around in the dirt painting with the colors of the wind, I do believe your expectations are a little unreasonable. Then, because of her irresponsibleness, Kocoum ends up being killed. Are you happy now, Pocahontas?

All kinds of turmoil ensues later in the film, but Pocahontas blithely continues to behave in her usual manner (she tries to interrupt a war!). It really is troubling how not helpful she is to her friends, her tribespeople, etc.

Which brings me to my point: what if Pocahontas was around today? Would she still be a duty-shirking, immature and irresponsible person, who goes around singing at inappropriate times? Well of course she would be, since modern times allows for that even more than the early 17th century. Worse yet, what was Disney promoting for children (since the movie came out in 1995, the "children" who watched it are now in the early twenties)? Maybe Disney is to blame for my generation? I think next time I want to procrastinate, I'll claim I'm channeling Pocahontas, walk to a park, and start singing (maybe I'll just hum, my singing skills are minimal at best).


PS. It occurs to me that Productive Member of Society shortens to PMS. Huh.

2 comments:

  1. Nick (hey look im still reading itFebruary 24, 2011 at 5:43 PM

    i thought Pocahontas was your favorite Disney "princess" until Mulan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mulan: definitely a more productive member of society. She did save China and everything.

    ReplyDelete