Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Who's Classy Now? The Met, Hermitage, Versailles, etc. at my Desk

Because Google doesn't already do enough cool stuff, now they do even more!

Sometimes I wish I could travel the world, visiting famous museums and eating five-star cuisine. Google hasn't figured out a way to make French food magically appear at my desk, but I'm sure they're working on it. In the meantime, they have made it so I can sit at my computer and virtually "visit" museums across the world (Seriously google people? You're awesome. Just sayin'.)

My favorite is going into the Met and mousing over the the Cloisters section (the Art Project lets you navigate the galleries via a floorplan or by "traveling" from one room to the next or with arrows).

http://www.googleartproject.com/

On one hand, this is the coolest thing ever. On the other hand...I'm envisioning a Wall-E-esque future where we never have to leave our chairs and experience culture through big tv screens. Oh, well. Sign me up for the Hoverround, because I'm hoping the Google Art Project keeps expanding. Who knows, maybe they'll include endangered historical sites (like Pompeii: http://www.newsweek.com/2011/01/03/pompeii-s-second-destruction.html) to keep them open to the public without causing further deterioration. Just an idea, Google people.

No comments:

Post a Comment