Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Toaster Pastries...Quite an Art

I understand that not everyone has the culinary tastes of a 12 year old, like me. That being said, I am entitled to my opinions, and my opinions say that toaster pastries (especially Pillsbury's Toaster Strudels) are delicious. They also make Toaster Scrambles, which are also delicious, but less awesome because a) they don't heat up as evenly in the toaster, its its either cold or burnt and b) there's no icing. This icing might possibly be the best part of Toaster Strudels.

However, I firmly believe that the icing but be done in a certain way. If you glob it all in the center, then you diminish the deliciousness of the pastry overall because you have a bunch of bites without any icing at all (which is just sad). No! I insist that the best way -the only true way- the east a toaster pastry is to strive for the most even and complete icing coverage possible. Now, because I am so gracious (and because I have sent years perfecting this), I will tell you exactly how to achieve the Perfect Toaster Strudel.

Step 1. Cut the smallest possible hole in the icing packet. If you cut the hole too big, then the icing just globs out, and that is no good.
Step 2. Begin in one corner of the pastry and ice diagonally across (see picture below if you are confused).
Step 3. Now ice the pastry lengthwise, then width-wise (creating cross-hatchings).
Step 4. With any remaining icing, ice diagonally in the direction you haven't done yet.
Step 5. If you still have icing left over (you probably won't), go ahead an eat it. Yum.


The pastry on the right: a true work of art. Perfect icing coverage. Perfect Toaster Strudel.
The pastry on the left: not my best work. I cut the hole in the icing packet too big, and thus did not have enough frosting to complete all of the steps. Such a tragedy. Still delicious, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment